- Having my hair cut. This is a huge pleasure for me but one I feel is very indulgent as it is not cheap. I am very fussy about having my hair cut and who does it and would prefer to go without a cut than have a bad one. Since moving back to my home town I have found a new hairdresser and for the first time in years am back to a naughty 6-8 weekly hair cut. I find it seriously addictive, as a student I use to travel 80 miles home and pay £30 for a hair cut on top of my train fare every 2 months - how did I afford that?? My new hairdresser is a man which I prefer, quite young so thinks about what is in fashion, and the most indulgent but is I get a complementary Indian head massage when I first arrive for about 10 minutes, then when I have my hair washed I am reclined in a vibrating massage chair, with a proper neck rest so you don't get the basin digging in, and the way they wash your hair is all with their finger tips and thumbs like they massage. Once you are towelled off, they then offer you a Japanese head and neck massage for 5 or 10 minutes in this little candle lit area with low music playing, and then comes your hair cut. I LOVE it. Infact as I have been typing this my sister-in-law has just text me to say she is going for a consultation with my hairdresser this afternoon.
- Mentioning my sister-in-law brings me to my next guilty pleasure and that is occasionally going out and 'doing' lunch which I have begun to do with her, and old friends. Its not that regular but it has certainly helped me to get to know my SIL as living away since my brother meet her, and married her meant i barely knew her. We really enjoy these meet ups and tend to frequent the same place which is a little cafe/restaurant in Harrogate called Fodder. If anyone ever visits Harrogate, I cant recommend Fodder highly enough (I have tried to link to their website). It is run by the Yorkshire Agricultural Society and one side is a shop with a butchers counter, deli counter, fruit and veg, jams, preserves etc. It is all farm grown, organic, freshly baked and from Yorkshire. The cafe also uses all these ingredients and it is well worth a visit, and overlooks the Great Yorkshire Show Ground so the views are of open fields. it is not in the town centre but I think that is what appeals, and it doesn't seem to suffer for it as I have never yet been in and not had to wait for a table.
- Opening a bottle of wine and sticking on something like Mama Mia, The Rocky Horror Picture show, Grease, Moulin Rouge, Dirty Dancing (I love a good bit of Patrick Swazye grinding his hips) you get the picture and having a damned good sing along. This only occurs when t'husband is away or out and the kids are asleep. I love it!
- Spending hours on rightmove and googlemaps. I am sooooo nosey, and love looking at people's houses especially when people tell me their house is for sale or one I regularly pass goes up, I am the first to race home, and get on rightmove to check out their decor and room sizes and garden.
- Bald men! Nope seriously, it first started when t'husband made me sit through hours of Star Trek and being the starry eyed new girlfriend I did it, and really got quite a liking for Patrick Stewert and his bald head.
Now that I have started thinking of guilty pleasures I could also add having a bath with a good book, and a glass of wine whenever the house is empty otherwise my baths are gate crashed not only by the boys but also t'husband! Pop over to Kate takes Five and join in.