Friday 2 December 2011

The Elf on the Shelf

Has anyone heard of the Elf on the Shelf? I want one!!

I have only just heard of it having seen it on a friend's facebook page and I think it is brilliant.

Apparently it is an old Christmas tradition and I love traditions and think this one would be fab with my boys except I can;t find one - might have to make it a mission for next year.

Basically the Elf on a Shelf is a tiny elf that appears somewhere in the house on the 1st December. Each day he moves to a different place, this is because he sits and watches all the boys and girls in the house to make sure they are being well behaved and every night flies back to the North Pole and gives a report to Father Christmas. By the time the children wake up in the morning, he is back and in a new place. You can name your elf and visit The Elf on a Shelf website to register him and get an official adoption certificate, which I have just looked up and it seems they are more reasonably priced at $29.00 (although still a bit of a gulp factor going on there!).

I can't think of anything more fun but was slightly taken aback at the $99 price tag for a gift set one I just found on amazon, so I am now on the hunt for one but suspect I will have to either make my own for this year or wait to start this tradition to next year!

As you can probably tell I am writing this post while looking and it seems the official website does sell them and have them in stock. I might have to invest in one on Monday - although probably stretching the Christmas budget I think it is too nice a tradition to pass up. If I do manage to get one, I will post a daily picture of where our elf is sitting and doing his watching - fingers crossed t'husband allows me to spend the money once my invoice is paid!!

2 comments:

Lizbethcole29 said...

I've heard of this but I'm not up for the challenge of moving the elf every night. I know, that sounds pretty lame!!! Would love to see a picture of your little elf though!

Michelle Twin Mum said...

I've not heard of this before but I think it sounds like a lovely little piece of magic. Mich x