Friday 22 March 2013

Frugal Friday

last week I decided I was going to do a weekly post on how I was doing with trying to cut back and budget, hence Frugal Friday.

I am always open to advice and tips so please do share, I feel I have much to learn!

I set of well last week trying new things like meal planning and on-line shopping and taking a set amount of money out for the week to cover shopping and everything else.  I got on both well and not well.

  1. The on-line shop was a bit of a disaster. I planned my meals and felt I was only buying what I needed and yes my cupboards are emptier however I spent over £100 which is more than I do if I walk round the supermarket. I think this was because I used supermarket.com and started with Asda but then Sainsburys was £2.00 cheaper, and I had a £15.00 on-line shopping voucher off, so once my list was complete, I swapped supermarket. This was a downfall I think as the substitutes were not ideal or even the best ones, when the shop was delivered I had 4 lettuces, 3 bags of pretzels and various other things which I couldn't work out, I assume I got a bit click happy and didn't realise. I also got a few things with a sell by date of the next day when I ideally was planning to use it at the end of the week, and then other minor issues my butternut squash was tiny, the melons were ready to eat that days so by today were mushy, my salad croutons were substituted with onion bahjis - yes really!
  2. This week I have been and done my shop in Sainsburys, this was only because I needed to get a present to put in the post for my friends daughters birthday and I know Sainsburys does nice clothes and good toys and I also knew they had a 25% off offer on as well. I still managed to spend £80.00 on food which was annoying as I had in my head I didn't want to go over £65.00 but it was all stuff we will use, I didn't buy anything 'just because it was on offer' or because 'I fancied it'. Next week I am going to take the receipt to Morrison's and do a price comparison as I walk round and note down their prices next to the Sainsburys ones and see what the difference is. I will then do the same the following week with Asda and then might try an on-line shop again.
  3. Meal planning as mentioned went well, I liked the fact I knew each day what I was doing, it was a lot more time efficient to tell the truth, and I feel I used my left overs much better, so felt much savvier (is that a word or spelt right?).
  4. When I ran out of bread and milk, I either got it from the local shop or only took a couple of £ to the supermarket with me so I had no choice but to get what I had gone for and not add things to my basket. I also didn't allow myself anywhere near the clothes or shoes!!
  5. t'husband has a bad habit of insisting we all go to town at 11.30 on a Saturday morning and by the time we get there, both boys are hungry and we end up spending money on food, this time I took sandwiches and made them eat them in the car, then I refused just to wonder aimlessly round town, instead going in for what we needed and then leaving.
  6. I am trying really hard to make sure nothing is left plugged in like mobile phone chargers etc and putting the wood burner on to heat the house rather than letting the temperature drop so the heating is constantly clicking on and off
  7. I took advantage of some half price days out offers on the local radio website and bought one for a family which is valid until June 30th so I am quite chuffed with that.
So we are getting there I think!

2 comments:

robynelisabeth said...

I'll bookmark your blog - I've been writing a Frugal Friday post weekly for a year or so - it's great to find someone else doing the same!

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most vital information for me. And i am glad reading your article.
But wanna remark on few general things, The site style is perfect,
the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

Review my homepage :: travel