Monday 23 May 2011

A slice of luxury

Yesterday I went for a hair cut. I use to have quite an addiction to having my hair cut and would religiously have it done every 6 weeks without fail.  Over the years, this habit has slipped as money became tighter with mortgages in place and car loans, and then kids came and my hair became a luxury. Often my brother would give me the money towards a decent haircut for my birthday (bless him), and in between it was a quick trim at a local, cheap hairdressers where blue rinses were top of the menu.

My last experience in a blue rinse establishment left me with a hair cut I can't even begin to describe which has taken me 18 months to grow out.  In that time I have visited 3 salons (expensive ones) and each time, they have all said they could only trim and neaten and to let it grow.

Finally it has reached a length where it can be done nicely - so I trotted round our new home town checking out all the hairdressers, seeing if any took my fancy. Now I grew up in this town but I have lived away for 19 years so alot has changed. I found one, booked in and visited yesterday. I think I can say that my addiction to having my hair cut may of been reignited!

It started with being sat down by a male hairdresser (always favoured a man cutting my hair so that was bonus number 1) and offered a complementary head and neck massage, I was asked how I would like it (gentle, medium, hard), I chose hard and it was lush, to say he was firm - actually that sounds so very wrong!, to say the massage was firm was an understatement, just how I like them. I then got a 'consultation' about what to do with my hair, and then a hair wash.

I have never in my life had a hair wash like it. The chair was leather (or fake leather) but very comfy, they put a neck rest on me so I didn't feel like I was about to be interrogated by some alien species, and then they reclined me.  Normally those hair washing basins kill my neck. My feel automatically went up in the air with a foot thingy, and then the chair started vibrating, yes vibrating.  There I am being given an Indian head massage while he washes my hair, and my seat is pulsating and vibrating. I couldn't stop laughing but it was very relaxing! Then I got taken to another set of chairs in a dimly lit part of the room with candles and offered another complementary head and neck massage. By this time I was very relaxed and really enjoying myself!!

Move forward, I got a lovely haircut, much neater than it was, much sleeker, and I am a happy bunny, and all for what I consider a good price of £33.00, or maybe I am stuck on southern prices where I had to pay £45-£48 for a decent cut in a good salon. And I had 1 hour and 30 minutes of pure me time, someone spoiling me, reding mags, drinking coffee and being made to feel and look good, ahh bliss.

I will definitely be going there again and do confess to already having booked my next appointment for 6 weeks time, opps!

3 comments:

Tilly said...

Sounds like the place that I go to. I popped in there for a quick trim as they'll fit you in without an appointment if they have the time. I was very surprised when the chair started to vibrate! They were so nice, and my hair looked good by the time they had finished, that I always go there now - though not usually every 6 weeks as I lose track of time. Sadly though I am paying southern prices!

The Rambling Pages said...

Yep but I only booked in for 6 weeks as they offered me a early booking 20% discount and ever the right northerner I jumped at the chance. Perhaps if my maths were better I would realise that I will probably spend more in the course of a year though!!

The Rambling Pages said...

Yep but I only booked in for 6 weeks as they offered me a early booking 20% discount and ever the right northerner I jumped at the chance. Perhaps if my maths were better I would realise that I will probably spend more in the course of a year though!!